The Bird & Babe Public House

We offer pithy pontifications by the pint-full, and the best brain-food this side of Blogsford. There's no cover charge, and it's all you can eat/drink (although we strongly encourage moderation). Like any other pub, we always appreciate a good tip.

Monday, March 26, 2007

Poisoning the Well, or Pointing Out that the Well is Poisoned?

So I've been thinking (yes, I know, a very dangerous exercise) about certain fallacies we all learned in our Logic classes, particularly the ad hominem/ poisoning-the-well fallacy. And of course, we have been taught that one ought never to use this argument because it is fallacious and invalid.

Here is an example of an ad hominem argument:

"We have all witnessed Steve's proclivity to misrepresent people and their views, and have heard him make wildly false claims about everything under the sun. Therefore, we should not believe anything he says about Chinese food" (See post below).

Obviously, this example shows why we shouldn't commit this fallacy. But on the other hand, isn't the story about The Boy Who Cried Wolf there to teach us that there is validity in the ad hominem? In other words, the moral of the story is: liars are not to be trusted, so don't be a liar. Or maybe it's just the other way around: You should probably trust a liar, because sometimes he is telling the truth (the boy was telling the truth the last time). Now, I'm not excusing all ad hominem arguments by any means; I'm just asking if they do indeed carry some weight sometimes. Could it be that sometimes we are not poisoning the well, rather we are simply pointing out that the well is already poisoned? For example:

"I was reading a book by Vijay, and in it, he made claims regarding the New Testament which I know to be false (since I am an expert on the New Testament). Therefore, I don't know if I should trust the things he said about the Old Testament either (since I'm not an expert on the Old Testament). If I know he is wrong about the subjects with which I am familiar, why in the world should I trust him regarding the subjects with which I am not familiar?"

Anyway, I'm not trying to come to any conclusions in this post; I just want to start some fun discussion. So, discuss!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do think it is important to disuingush here between believability and validity.

I think along your line of thinking we might say: An ad hominem ought not be about questioning the validity of an argument or the veracity of a statment (when one attempts to do this by attacking the person's character then they are guilty of committing this fallacy, and perhaps another fallacy--the category mistake). Rather, an ad hominem should be about questioning the credibility of the individual making the argument or statement.

Therefore, in so far as "weight" means they carry some sort of pragmatic acceptability (not epistemic rationality); ad hominem arguments carry some weight sometimes.

Hopefully this appears to you to be as clear as it is in my mind right now.

March 26, 2007 8:42 PM  
Blogger DrewDog said...

Yeah, I guess it's not a debate tactic; because if you're already in the debate, then you are endorsing your debate partner's credibility. In other words, the time to use the ad hominem is before the debate even begins, "This man has no credibility, and has proven himself a liar. Why should we give him a hearing?"

Does that make sense, or am I way off??

March 29, 2007 10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this what you had in mind with "pointing out that the well is poisoned"?

March 30, 2007 6:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home