The Bird & Babe Public House

We offer pithy pontifications by the pint-full, and the best brain-food this side of Blogsford. There's no cover charge, and it's all you can eat/drink (although we strongly encourage moderation). Like any other pub, we always appreciate a good tip.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Enjoying God's Blessings

I just finished sipping a glass of Jim Beam bourbon, and since we've been hitting some "heavier"subjects of late here at the pub, I thought I'd lighten the conversation up a bit with a post on some of my favorite "heavier" beverages. Here's a list as they come to my mind:

1. Cognac- I've tried a number of these delicious drinkables, and I'd have to say that my favorite is Remy Martin. I hear (though I've never had the blessing of tasting) that Louis XIII is the creme de la creme, but Remy Martin XO is the best I've ever tasted hands down. I think that the best buy ($30/bottle at Costco) is definitely the Remy VSOP. It is pretty smooth, and has a tremendous aftertaste. It's full-bodied, and deliciously sweet; a perfect dessert drink.

2. American/Canadian Whiskey- Although Jim Beam is a good standard, and Maker's Mark goes down smooth, Jack Daniel's is so far above the rest. I can't exactly put my finger on it, but when I'm at a pub and I want a good whiskey, I always go for Jack. Crown Royal (a Canadian whiskey) is a close second, but Jack just tastes so sweet and full that I can't resist. I wish I was drinkin' it right now.

3. Scotch Whisky- This is a tough category since there are so many good ones. Lagavulin has a wonderful and unique peaty flavor, but I just couldn't drink it on a regular basis. Dalwhinnie and Oban are also very tasty and smooth single malt scotch whiskys, but I have found that they can't compare to The Macallan. I especially like the Macallan 18, although I imagine that the 25 and 30 are amazing (I just can't afford them!). You can really taste the oak in Macallan, and the 18 in particular is so smooth! All in all, you can't go wrong with any of the Macallans.

4. Tequila- While I have much respect for Sauza and and Jose Cuervo, my personal favorite by far is Patrón. Gran Patrón in particular is equally respectable straight up as it is in a nice, warm Mexican coffee. Unfortunately, it has become somewhat of an icon of wealth in the hip-hop culture, but I won't hold that against Patrón.


Well, there you have it, Drewdog's delectable drinkables. Have I left anything out? What are your favorites, and why?

7 Comments:

Blogger steve said...

1. I agree with Remy XO and look forward to the hope of Louis XIII.

2. I would subdivide the category of American Whisky into Tennessee Whisky and Bourbon. There are also some smaller batch Canadian Whiskies that I have tried (and whose names elude me) which surpass Crown but Crown is the standard...and a good one at that. Kind of like the Guiness of Canadian WHisky

3. Macallan...you simply cant go wrong. 25 is like drinking a warm buttery barrell. Though Laphraiog (pronounce La-FROIG) has something to commend it.

4. Tequila is for drunks and losers

February 21, 2007 10:48 AM  
Blogger DrewDog said...

Re #2: I thought about that, but I didn't feel like spending that much time on it. IOW, I agree.

Re #4: Touche.

February 21, 2007 11:23 AM  
Blogger steve said...

What about port? I have begun to appreciate them but am a novice. SO I have no idea if I am drinking a respectable port or the Big Red of the port world. Does anyone who knows port have any suggestions or guidelines?

February 22, 2007 3:03 PM  
Blogger DrewDog said...

I don't have a lot of experience with port either, but I know one thing: The Rodney Strong port you shared with me in Austin was the best port I've ever had. I may not be an aficionado, but I know what tastes good!

February 22, 2007 3:07 PM  
Blogger steve said...

Well, I got a Becker Port sitting in my wine cellar (ie the cabinet beneath the silverware drawer) with your name on it...well actually with the Becker name on it...but you get my drift...you can have some...if you want.

February 22, 2007 5:16 PM  
Blogger Mark "T-Hill" said...

I have no idea what the differences are in anything you speak of. I neither care nor concern for names, labels, dates, wineries, bottlers, etc. I have gone and made my own rules-of-thumb based on what exactly the drink does.

Wine for health
Beer for wealth
Hard alcohol for krunk

not saying my system is better, just easier.

February 23, 2007 4:40 PM  
Blogger Mark "T-Hill" said...

Since we're on the topic, what does "DOCG" mean? Is it something important? or something to ignore?

February 23, 2007 4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home