The Bird & Babe Public House

We offer pithy pontifications by the pint-full, and the best brain-food this side of Blogsford. There's no cover charge, and it's all you can eat/drink (although we strongly encourage moderation). Like any other pub, we always appreciate a good tip.

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Who Cares about Resurrection?

I recently heard a pastor say, “Many theologians believe that the soul is the part of us that lives into eternity.” Now, correct me if I’m wrong but I believe these theologians have a name: Gnostics. What is even scarier to me is that I don’t think this is just the belief of a few theologians; I think it is the common view held my many American evangelicals.

I happen to believe that, just like Jesus (who is the first fruits according to Paul), the part of us that lives into eternity is us- brains, bones and all! That’s what the resurrection of the Son of God is all about.

Here’s what I find interesting about all of this: most evangelicals say that someone like Marcus Borg isn’t a Christian because he denies the physical resurrection of Jesus, while he holds to a “spiritual” resurrection. But if the only part of us that lives into eternity is the soul, why would it need to be any different for Jesus? What then is the point of Jesus’ physical resurrection; what did it accomplish?

Any thoughts?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home