The Bird & Babe Public House

We offer pithy pontifications by the pint-full, and the best brain-food this side of Blogsford. There's no cover charge, and it's all you can eat/drink (although we strongly encourage moderation). Like any other pub, we always appreciate a good tip.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Beware of Philosophy?

The following are some initial thoughts toward a passage of scripture which I am going to prepare a sermon from for one of my classes. Your thoughts on the matter would be appreciated and perhaps considered as I prepare my outline.

In Colossians chapter 2 beginning in verse 8 Paul begins to give several warnings to the cosmopolitan church at Colossae. He begins by warning them to beware of philosophy and empty deceit which follows the tradition of men and the elementary principles of the world, and thus stands opposed to Christ (is this a good summary?).

When I was a kid I used to pass out flyers to homes for my father’s business. Whenever I would go near a house, the first thing I would look for was the notorious sign (usually found on the fence) “Beware of Dog.” Now, when I saw this sign I would immediately jump into my fight or flight mode. I would purposefully remain completely aware of my surroundings hoping (no, praying) that some huge dog wasn’t going to bust through the fence and come running after me. However, it’s important to understand that just because a house had the infamous sign doesn’t mean that I avoided the house altogether. Rather, I simply was cautious in my approach.

I believe that Paul is making a similar point. Paul is telling us to (blepo) watch out, be alert, be discerning, pay careful attention. Paul uses this word in 1 Cor. 1:26 to say “consider your calling.” In other words, weigh the evidence; don’t jump into this blindly. For the same reason that we don’t blindly walk up to a fence that says “Beware of Dog,” we shouldn’t approach philosophy in this manner either.

There have been a lot of poor interpretations of this text. Many have written that Paul is telling us to stay away from philosophy, and by philosophy usually these people mean Philosophy. That is, philosophy as a discipline or as a means of gaining knowledge. I don’t think Paul is saying that we should avoid Philosophy. First of all Paul is not referring to philosophy in the etymological sense. For indeed if he were, this would be a contradiction to other passages of scripture which teach that wisdom is something to be sought after and gained. Indeed, wisdom (sophia) and right-mindedness (phronesei), along with redemption, is something which God has freely given to those whom he has predestined before the “laying down” (kataboles) of the world (cf. Eph 1:4-8). Further, this would render his statement self-refuting since he is arguing that we need to use wisdom to avoid the search for wisdom. In other words, it is self-refuting to assert that we should be discerning about avoiding discernment. It’s like saying “Watch out, you should never write a sentence that contains more than three words.”

If Paul is not referring to Philosophy then what is he referring to? He is referring to a specific philosophy. Namely, philosophy which is empty and deceptive. This empty and deceptive philosophy is philosophy which is patterned after the “tradition of men” and the “elementary principles of the world.” Notice two things. First, this philosophy is patterned after “tradition.” Paul goes on to talk about this tradition which we might broadly refer to as “legalism.” Second, this philosophy is patterned after the elementary principles of the world which Paul goes on to talk about, and we might broadly refer to these elementary principles as “Gnosticism.”
It is these two kinds of philosophies which stand opposed to Christ and therefore warrant our utmost caution and care. Good philosophy should take “every thought captive to the obedience of Christ.” This really is the issue. Paul is not commanding us to avoid Philosophy, but he is warning us to beware of philosophy which ultimately does not “seek the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God” (Col. 3:1).

Of course, I can keep going but I think that this will suffice. Comments, corrections, and contributions are desired and welcomed.

2 Comments:

Blogger DrewDog said...

My initial thoughts are that you have succesfully proven that Paul was a presuppostitionalist. In other words, unless you submit your first principles to Christ as you consider philosophy, you are walking blindly into false and deceptive philosophy. Not only that, but you are thinking rebeliously.

Christ must be the arche; and within that context, philosophy can be considered as love and pursuit of God's truth. All truth is God's truth; all true wisdom is God's wisdom. All true philosophy is thinking God's thoughts after Him.

I doubt my comments help at all, but you wanted input, and I just started typing as soon as I finished reading. I'll give it some more thought, and let you know if anything else strikes me.

January 25, 2006 3:44 PM  
Blogger Vijay Swamidass said...

"Many have written that Paul is telling us to stay away from philosophy, and by philosophy usually these people mean Philosophy."

This is curious to me. I would be interested in reading a more detailed argument defending that point. I don't want to attack a poor, defenseless straw man.

Do you think Paul's interaction with the Philosophers at the Areopagus helps your point? At the very least he does the following:
- Quotes some of their own presumably unbelieving poets (Philosophers)
- Uses rational argument (Acts 17:17)

All the best with your sermon.

January 25, 2006 9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home