The Bird & Babe Public House

We offer pithy pontifications by the pint-full, and the best brain-food this side of Blogsford. There's no cover charge, and it's all you can eat/drink (although we strongly encourage moderation). Like any other pub, we always appreciate a good tip.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Andrew's Top 5 Beers


In an effort to keep the conversation here light (unlike good beer), I'm posting my 5 favorite beers (in no particular order) and why I love them:

1. Shiner Bock- crisp, refreshing, and surprisingly full of flavor. This beer is perfect for drinking on the patio (barbecuing is optional) with compatriots on a hot summer day... or any day for that matter.

2. 1554 Black Ale- full bodied, packed with flavor (with a finish that reminds me of coffee/peanut butter; trust me, it's good). This is a great beer to enjoy in the pub with friends after a long day of work.

3. BJ's Jeremiah Red- bitter and sweet at the same time, full-bodied, refreshing; in a word, superb. I love drinking this beer while enjoying BJ's Buffalo Chicken Pizza. My mouth waters just thinking about it.

4. Belhaven Scottish Ale- creamy, smooth, with a finish that lasts and lasts. I enjoy this beer with any meal, but it especially compliments a good plate of fish and chips.

5. Young's Oatmeal Stout- Dark, thick, and sweet. This is a great stand alone beer; perfect for warming you up on a cold winter's eve.

I could go on and on (I hate to leave out Pyramid Snow Cap & Amberweizen, Buffalo Bill's Ricochet Red, XX Amber, BJ's Tatonka Stout, Smithwicks, Downtown Brown, Pete's Wicked Ale, etc.), but I need to stop somewhere.

Let us know your what your favorite beers are and why by leaving a tip!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Shiner Bock
2. Shiner Bock
3. Shiner Bock
4. Shiner Bock
5. Smithwicks

I list no explanation for placing Shiner Bock at numbers 1 thru 4 is because it is axiomatic that Shiner Bock is the greatest beer in the world. Shiner's greatness transcends the necessity, ability, and category of proof.

PS. You are going to hell...you and all your beer-swilling compatriots.

January 24, 2006 7:01 PM  
Blogger DrewDog said...

You sound like a Shiner-presuppositionalist:

Since Shiner exists, there can be delicious and satisfying beer in the pub.
(The Transcendental Argument)

Or perhaps you are a Shiner-moralist:

Since there is delicious and satifying beer in the pub, Shiner must exist.
(The Moral Argument)

January 24, 2006 8:20 PM  
Blogger DrewDog said...

UPDATE- My wife knows me pretty darn well:

I told her a few minutes ago that I had posted my 5 favorite beers on B & B, and asked her to guess which 5 I chose. She guessed an amazing 4 out of 5, only missing Belhaven because she forgot what it was called (although I'm sure in her mind she saw the platonic form of "Belhaven Scottish Ale").

So I'm actually going to consider that a 4.5 out of 5. I love my wife.

January 24, 2006 8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home