The Bird & Babe Public House

We offer pithy pontifications by the pint-full, and the best brain-food this side of Blogsford. There's no cover charge, and it's all you can eat/drink (although we strongly encourage moderation). Like any other pub, we always appreciate a good tip.

Monday, July 23, 2007

Godric, Time, Storms, and the Lord of Heaven

One of the best things about moving to San Antonio is I get to spend a lot of time with Rob (I think the comments should be directed towards how Rob might respond to this statement). One of the best things about spending time with Rob is I have someone to suggest what book I should read next—although, it’s rather like a strong exhortation; ok, a command!

One book that Rob recently lent me is Godric, by Frederick Buechner (BEEK-nur). This is a fascinating tale about a 12th century saint (Perhaps one might wonder whether the word “fascinating” can be used of a 12th century saint?)—written from the perspective of the saint: Godric. This is all I am going to tell you about the plot because I want all of you, I mean Rob wants all of you, to read this yourselves. You bunch of lazy @$$*$! Actually, I do not want to feel obligated to write one of those plot spoiler warnings at the beginning of this post...Ok, I will tell you a little bit simply because I am trying to make a point.

Just near the middle of the book (60-61), as Godric is making his way to Rome, he is plagued with one seeming disaster after another—the portrait of which Godric paints with these words,

Except that there they have no end, the pains of Hell can be no sharper than the pains we suffer here, nor the Fiend himself more fiendish than a man. Oh Queen of Heaven, pray for us. Have pity on the pitiless for thy dear Son our Savior’s sake.

At home the leaves are falling sere when we behold at last the hills of Rome.

I love the line from his prayer—‘Have pity on the pitiless…’

Anyhoo…Right in the middle of his ranting (this is what I think it is) Ailred, Abbot of Rievaulx, staring into the sky as the rain has now stopped and the sun is shining through, says this,

‘You speak of time, Godric,’ Ailred said. His cough for once was gone. ‘Time is a storm. Times past and times to come, they heave and flow and leap their bounds like Wear. Hours are clouds that change their shapes before your eyes. A dragon fades into a maiden’s scarf. A monkey’s grin becomes an angry fist. But beyond time’s storm and clouds there’s timelessness. Godric, the Lord of Heaven changes not, and even when our view’s most dark, he’s there above us fair and golden as the sun.’ And so it is.
‘God’s never gone,’ my gentle, ailing Ailred said. ‘It’s only men go blind.’


As I sat at my desk this morning thinking about Godric, thinking about the Lord of Heaven and Time, the following thoughts came to my mind:

Time is tricky just as storms are tricky. At one moment we cry out and beg God to slow down time—just as farmers cry out to God for a few more inches of rain! Yet at other moments we wish that time would fade away, leaving no trail behind to follow—just as the disciples cried out to Jesus, ‘Teacher, don’t you care if we drown?’

In the midst of these various periods of time we have at least two choices. We can, as Godric did, and as the disciples did, see only the storm itself. That is, we can choose only to focus on the circumstance itself. This, I think, will lead us to react in much the same way Godric, the Israelites, the disciples did. Or, in the midst of the storm, we can see through the clouds and look for the light that will shine through as Ailred did. We can choose to remember in those circumstances that God is never gone. We can choose to see, or we can choose to remain blind.

Thoughts?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

July 23, 2007 12:09 PM  
Blogger tiffanywithaT said...

stupid spam!!...or I think that's spam. :D

If Rob says we should read this book, I'm definately adding it to my list of books! I love that beautiful quote about time; it is very true.

July 23, 2007 1:14 PM  
Blogger Puntastic! said...

I don't want to change the meaning of your rant, but I find myself making the same mistake in focusing on my circumstances rather than realizing the big picture, that God never leaves us and is always in control. And, regarding the previous posts, I am already in cali, but I plan to go to Texas next month where I will spend some extra summer cash!

July 23, 2007 1:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do not think the second half of your last sentence will ever be part of my vocabularly--particularly the part about spending EXTRA summer cash!

In fact, now that we just bought a new car, mine will be the converse of yours...I am already in Texas, but I plan to go to cali in Decemeber where I will spend some extra winter credit!

We are looking forward to seeing y'all...let me know if y'all need a place to crash. I hear there is this bald guy here who is real friendly and loves to have guests from out of town ;)

July 23, 2007 1:54 PM  
Blogger Mark "T-Hill" said...

I have an interesting question, somewhat off-topic. As I was looking up the reference for quote from the disciples "Teacher, don’t you care if we drown," I found out that the story is told 3 separate times in the Bible (Matt. 8:18-34, Mark 5:1-20, & Luke 8:22-39.) However, in my findings, I came across 3 different stories of the part after the storm - the part dealing with the demonic possession of one (Mark & Luke) to two men (Matthew).

My question is simple; why do these accounts conflict? If anyone can shed some light, I would be much obliged.

In Christ,
Mark

July 23, 2007 4:10 PM  
Blogger Paul Johnson said...

another somewhat off subject aside, or maybe the most on subject... i've been reading Till We Have Faces and two sisters have almost an identical conversation before the more attractive of the two is to be exposed on a mountainside. it is often hard to see the forest for all of the trees. (to be absolutely cliche.)

July 24, 2007 1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paul,

your mention of Till We Have Faces intrigues me insofar as both Lewis and Beuchner seem to view the notion of "identity" (image?) in much the same way--both see it as ironic.

Godric is identified as a saint, and yet as the novel unfolds we learn that Godric is perhaps the most unsaintly saint there is.

Orual, who only wants her sister to be happy, ends up making her sister unhappy by thinking the monster was someone else--somone she couldn't see.

Perhaps a lesson we might learn from both novels is the fundamental lesson taught by Socrates, which was inscribed on the Temple of Apollo at DelphI?

GNOTHI SEAUTON

July 25, 2007 12:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home