The Bird & Babe Public House

We offer pithy pontifications by the pint-full, and the best brain-food this side of Blogsford. There's no cover charge, and it's all you can eat/drink (although we strongly encourage moderation). Like any other pub, we always appreciate a good tip.

Monday, April 24, 2006

A Hero With a Thousand Meanings?


Don't worry this is not some sort of Joseph Campbell--Luke Skywalker equals Jesus Christ which equals your mama--kind of a thing. Rather, I have a confusing question, or perhaps a perplexing paradox, or perhaps a muddled mystery, and this is where all of the B&B faithful and unfaithful alike come in.

Since I was a little boy I have always loved the term HERO. I love everything about this word: I love how it sounds when it rolls off one’s tongue; I love what this word represents and who has represented this word. Allow me to name a few of my favorites: Heracles and Theseus, Hector, Achilles and Odysseus, Aeneas, Beowulf, Arthur and his Knights, Robin Hood, Aragorn and Frodo, Hester Prynne, and Alyosha Karamazov.

You will notice, as I did when I was preparing this list, that these are perhaps all fictional characters (although I like to think that these are all real people in a real world that I would like to travel to someday). Interestingly, when I was trying to think of Heroes who have lived in our time, though there are many, I could only think of one name; Mother Theresa. Now, certainly Mother Theresa looks nothing like these people I have listed above. However, I consider, and will always consider, her a hero, or perhaps a saint. Perhaps with the dawning of the Christian world and the evolution of words, the term hero has become synonymous with saint? Nevertheless, I think that Mother Theresa is a hero.

What makes Mother Theresa a hero? More importantly, did Mother Theresa know she was a hero? It is the latter question which I wish to discuss. I suppose I would think it strange that Mother Theresa would have called herself a hero. I've never heard her say any such thing, nor have I read any such thing that supposes or quotes Mother Theresa saying such a thing. But I think such a thing is true of Mother Theresa, and were she to say such a thing I would not consider her any less a hero for having said it.

This is an interesting point, I think. Mother Theresa never considered herself a hero. I suppose if you were to ask Mother Theresa if she were a hero she would have said “Of course not…I am just doing my duty” or something quite like this. This is not true of the heroes above (except perhaps Frodo—I will come back to this in a minute). The heroes, especially the heroes of the Greeks, believed that they were heroes and declared themselves to be such. One of my favorite lines in the Iliad is just after Andromache begs Hector to stay with her and not go back to the battle, Hector says,

Wife, I too have thought upon all this, but with what face should I look upon the Trojans, men or women, if I shirked battle like a coward? I cannot do so: I know nothing save to fight bravely in the forefront of the Trojan host and win renown alike for my father and myself. (Book VI)

I don’t suppose that Mother Theresa thought like this. Although she did, perhaps, have her heavenly father’s renown in mind, I don’t think that she cared about hers. She would have thought it foolish to even suppose that what she was doing, in her small world in India, mattered at all to anyone else in the world. She did not do these things to be a hero, and yet I consider her a hero for having done these things.

I suppose that this is different from Homer’s heroes and the rest of the Greek heroes, as well as the Roman hero Aeneas. I suppose this is even different for Beowulf, Arthur and Robin Hood, Aragorn, Hester Prynne (in a way) and Alyosha Karamazov. Perhaps the one exception to this is Frodo who considered the ring to be more of a burden than a blessing, and who at times wished he had never been given the ring. I think it was through Frodo’s weakness (humility perhaps is a better word) that he became the hero (quite unlike the rest of the heroes listed above).

There is a distinction going on here. I don’t know if you see it, but it is an interesting one. Allow me to put it in the form of a question, and I will leave our discussion at this point. Why is it the case that we suspect the heroes of our imagination to believe they are heroes and declare themselves to be heroes, but we would consider those, not in our imagination but in reality, who believe that they are heroes (at least on the scale of Heracles and Beowulf) to be LUNATICS? And those who would declare themselves to be heroes we would consider to be LIARS? Blinded by their own hubris? Why is it the case that those who seek to be heroes are not considered heroes, but those for whom the whole hero idea is the last thing on their mind we would consider to be heroes? This, for me, is puzzling and I have yet been able to solve it.

4 Comments:

Blogger DrewDog said...

Just a quick comment:

I think the idea of a hero from much Greco-Roman literature puts a very strong emphasis on arete and kleos, or a sort of external fame and glory. In other words, it's not what's on the inside that counts; it's about what you do. The struggle to be a hero is wrapped up in "showing off," proving that you are a hero.

This is juxtaposed to the to the ancient Hebrew (and later Judeo-Christian) goal of righteousness--with the importance being on having a humble obedience to God. Man looks at the outward appearance, but God looks at the heart.

Today, especially in the United States, we find ourselves relating to both of these ideals, and in some ways they are at war with in us, even Christians. So we value someone who is a hero even when they're arrogant about it (Achyleus or Barry Bonds or Tiger Woods) and maybe even more so when they would simply say, "Even if I did everything right and never messed up, I would have only done the minimum that God has required of me (Mother Theresa or Bonhoffer or Billy Graham)."

I hope this makes sense, and isn't too much of a rabbit trail.

April 24, 2006 8:47 PM  
Blogger DrewDog said...

Guess that wasn't such a quick comment.

April 24, 2006 8:48 PM  
Blogger DrewDog said...

My point was that the homeric ideals of arete and kleos are actually things we should deplore as Christians.

What I'm not saying: we should avoid excellence.

What I am saying: we should avoid excellence for the sake of our own fame, or as an end in itself.

Thus, we have such men as Moses and David and Judas the Hammer displaying excellence and heroism, but for them the end is righteousness and compassion. This cannot be said of Achilles or Agamemnon or Odyseus.

So we are left with two types of heroes: the selfish Hero (Greco-Roman) and the selfless Hero (Hebrew). The first seeks his own glory, the second seeks God's glory.

All that to say, no, I don't think we should value both understandings of excellence, although we may learn from both.

And I still love the Illiad and the Odyssey.

April 25, 2006 12:14 PM  
Blogger Fr. Bill said...

I'm coming in pretty late here. In the overview of Biblical masculinity I wrote some years ago now, I expounded masculinity under five aspects. The third of these is Man, the Savior, and it takes this title from its first appearance in God's curse on the Serpent in Genesis 3:15:

And I will put enmity
Between you and the woman,
And between your seed and her Seed;
He shall bruise your head,
And you shall bruise His heel.


From the earliest times, Christian teachers have named this the protoevangelium, the first statement of the gospel. Five Aspects of Man finds here, as well, the germ of one aspect of masculinity, "Man is created to war sacrificially against evil and injustice until they are vanquished."

From this, several elements of the hero (in the Biblical framework, that is) are seen even in its germ form in Genesis 3:

• An evil worthy of judgment
• Conflict with evil
• A beloved in peril
• Sacrificial suffering
• Faith in God

This pattern shows up in all Biblical heros. Indeed, it provides a schematic for an entire area of pathological masculinity, construed as either abuse or abandonment of one or more of these elements.

The point: I believe the Scripture gives us a rich range of ideas with which to understand and to discuss heros.

I would add this as regards Mother Theresa. For all the ways her devotion to Christ adorns the gospel through her service to the poor and ignored, I would not call her a hero. This is not to withhold an honor due to her, but rather to avoid making her into something she his not, and therefore diminishing what she is.

Heros confront and make war with evil. This was not Mother Theresa's primary mission, which was, rather, to show compassion and to bestow works of mercy on those who suffered greatly from the effects of evil. The closest I think she ever came to "warrior" status was when she quietly rebuked the politicians at the Presidential prayer breakfast for their complicity in the deaths of millions of unborn children. Even then, her "confrontation" was quintessentially feminine, not masculine. Check it out for yourself, as her complete text is reproduced here.

BQ

April 28, 2006 10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home